I'm Attending as an Out-of-Towner2019 U.S. Senior Women's Open Fan Info
About the Pinehurst, Southern Pines, Aberdeen Area:
The Pinehurst, Southern Pines and Aberdeen area may be known as the “Home of American Golf,” but it’s home to so much more than that. Beyond the lush fairways and turtleback greens lies a region rich with historical treasures, fine dining, shopping and entertainment opportunities that you simply cannot find anywhere else. It’s a place where you can explore the natural beauty of the Sandhills one day then tour an historic Scottish-inspired village the next. It’s a place where relaxation is as attainable as exhilaration.
Where to Stay:
Southern Pines has many different hotel options. Explore a selection of them here.
Things to do in the Pinehurst, Southern Pines, Aberdeen Area:
If you love golf, you’ve come to the right place, but don’t forget about the other exciting sights and adventures that the Sandhills has to offer:
Arts & Culture
- Carthage Mural Trail: The three murals are located near the county Courthouse in downtown Carthage. The murals depict significant historical references about the town including one about the old buggy factory, another honoring the memory of a World War I flying ace and the third about the tobacco industry.
- Pinehurst Brewery: Opened in October 2018, this old steam plant originally opened its doors in 1895! After years of decay, the building has been transformed into a great place for food, fun, music, and drinks.
- The Pik N Pig: Located at the Carthage Airport, watch private planes land and take off as you sample some of the best BBQ in the Sandhills!
Tours & Attractions
- Sandhills Horticultural Gardens: 27 acres of patterned English gardens and a native wetland trail. This beautiful location can be found on the grounds of Sandhills Community College.
- Downtown Southern Pines: This is a great area to explore a wide variety of local shops. The town is also dog-friendly, so don’t be shy if you want to bring along your furry friend to walk around and enjoy the fun.
- Pinehurst Clubhouse tour: A stroll down the hall of the main clubhouse is a walk through the history of golf. See several displays, including one commemorating the historic win by Payne Stewart in the 1999 United States Open. At the end of the hallway, go outside to watch golfers complete their round as they try to match Stewart’s legendary putt to win the Open, then take your picture next to Payne’s stature that captures the “One Moment in Time” fist pump.
How to Navigate:
- Check flights via this link to compare costs with ease.
- Use this website to help navigate and compare costs of train transportation.
- Rideshare opportunities are plentiful in this area. These modes of transportation can make for an easy way to navigate, ride share and avoid parking woes.
Want to learn more? Visit homeofgolf.com.